Thursday, September 9, 2021

The brain-boosting power of video games

 This week I have been focusing on finding research on how video games can improve cognitive skills and function. I found a handful of articles that met my research needs. Still, this particular one stood out, The brain-boosting power of video games by Daphne Bavelier and C. Shawn Green, published in Scientific American. Overall, the article supports the claim that video games improve cognitive skills, specifically action video games. The points that I found very interesting were that individuals who play action video games have a greater ability to focus on visual details, sensitivity to visual contrast and can "mentally rotate objects more accurately," the example to explain this is that if an action video game player was given the task to fit an oddly shaped couch into an overpacked moving van, they could do it easily. Lastly, a study revealed that laparoscopic surgeons who were also action video gamers were able to finish surgeries quickly and efficiently, all while maintaining the necessary precision needed in an operating room. I loved reading this article. I hope I find similar ones with the STEM topic as well.



 Image from: https://www.jstor.org/stable/26047025  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Last Two Weeks and End of STEM/TRAIN

 We have finally reached the end of the semester. I loved seeing everyone's presentations; it is interesting to see our different intere...